Bestway Wholesale urging operators to make the most of Rio 2016
2nd August 2016
With Rio 2016 Olympic Games opening this week, Bestway Wholesale is urging operators to make the most of the opportunity to boost food and drink sales by capitalising on the excitement around the Brazil games.
Brazilian food has been a growing trend in the UK over the past two years, kick-started by the buzz around the 2014 Brazil World Cup, with Latin flavours now influencing everything from street food to upmarket restaurants.
Ron Hickey, Bestway Wholesale’s Catering and On-Trade Sales Director, says: “Brazilian flavours are really hot at present – in every way - and caterers should tap into this to encourage people to embrace the spirit of Rio 2016 and join in the fiesta with some fun and tasty food and drink options.”
Meat is at the heart of Brazilian food culture, with dishes inspired by Brazilian RodizIo grills increasingly popular. Lamb, beef, chicken and pork joints are cooked on the barbecue on large skewers and then slices cut off at the table by the server. To add a Brazilian influence to a steak, lightly season the meat and top with lime juice and chilli.
There are in-store butchery departments in more than 30 Bestway and Batleys deports, with trained butchers on hand to prepare meat to customers’ specific requirements and each depot offers Essentially Catering and Bestway Quality and Value fresh meat products including beef and lamb joints. Top quality fresh steaks are also available, includingEssentially Catering Premium steaks which include fillet, rump and rib-eye cuts.
Olympic inspired dishes
Caterers can have some fun on their menus or specials boards with some Olympic athlete inspired dishes such as a ‘Bolt Burger’, in tribute to speedy sprinter Usain Bolt. To link with Bolt’s home nation of Jamaica, the burger could be topped with Levi Roots Reggae Reggae sauce.
For a red, white and blue themed ‘Team GB Burger’ top with a slice of red tomato, a white Cheddar cheese slice and red cabbage coleslaw. Bestway Wholesale offers a range of burgers and buns including Essentially Catering Premium Gourmet Beef Burgers and Americana 5-inch seeded burger buns in packs of 48.
Ideas for sharing platters include a Jessica Ennis-Hill heptathlon inspired ‘Magnificent Seven’ grazing board with items such as chips, British sausages, jerk chicken wings, five ‘Olympic’ onion rings and vegetable sticks or offer an Olympic-sized sharing platter.
Drinks which are likely to be winners around the Olympics and available at Bestway Wholesale are WKD Brazilian and Brahma beer, along with Pitu Cachaça, the key ingredient in Brazil’s national cocktail the caiprinha, made with lime, sugar and cachaça. Add some Olympic fun to the cocktail offer with themed drinks such as a ‘Going for Gold’ made with golden rum or a ‘Lightning Bolt’ Usain Bolt-inspired cocktail.
Bestway Wholesale’s full range of quality and value food and drink products to help caterers devise an exciting and profitable Olympics offer are available in Bestway and Batleys depots as well as for free delivery.
Ron Hickey’s Top Tips for a successful Rio 2016
· Promote the Olympics offer on outside A-boards, specials boards and on social media
· Make an occasion of the key Team GB events with themed food and drink offers
· Offer linked deals such as a burger with a beer or sharing platter with a cocktail for a fixed price
· Offer table service and options such as sharing platters, cocktail pitchers and beer buckets to persuade groups to stay longer
· Host a mini Olympics family fun day event in August with a Brazilian-inspired barbecue, and competitions such as time challenges against Usain Bolt’s Olympic record
· Hold an Olympics themed quiz night during the games, with questions based on previous Olympics, Brazil and London 2012
· Theme napkins for your Olympics offer with Team GB or Brazilian colours. Bestway Wholesale has a great range of quality and cost-effective options.
Bestway Wholesale: 01738 646666 www.bbfoodservice.co.uk« Back to News