Bestway Wholesale offers new products and special offers for barbecue summer
18th May 2016
From Father’s Day to the summer of sport, Bestway Wholesale is urging operators to make the most of the al fresco food and drink opportunity this summer, with a range of new products and special offers.
The trend for outside cooking continues to grow, with the UK now the biggest barbecue market in Europe, and a reported 125 million barbecues held last year.
Ron Hickey, Bestway Wholesale’s Catering and On-Trade Sales Director, says: “Barbecues are a cost effective and popular way of serving food and drink at summer events, as well as enabling operators to serve extra customers in the garden without putting more pressure on the kitchen.”
Father’s Day on 19 June is a great way to kick-start the summer outdoor menu, and Bestway Wholesale has an extensive range of fresh meat and expertise on hand. There are in-store butchery departments in 33 Bestway and Batleys depots, with trained butchers on hand to prepare meat to customers’ specific requirements, from steaks and kebabs to handmade sausages and burgers. All depots offer Essentially Catering and Bestway Quality and Value fresh meat products.
New additions to Bestway’s range include quality fresh beef steaks under its Essentially Catering Premium label, including striploin, fillet and rump.
Ron Hickey says: “We’ve included this new range of Essentially Catering Premium steaks in our Price Hold Guarantee for May and June to allow caterers to plan menus for key events such as Father’s Day and the Euro 2016 championships, with confidence.”
He adds: “As well as a quality range of meats, we also have an extensive range of beers, wines spirits and soft drinks at highly competitive prices to help operators have a really successful summer season. There are great deals on Carlsberg, Budweiser and Heineken in our current Price Hold Guarantee.” Products are available in all Bestway and Batleys depots as well as for free delivery.
Barbecue food is ideal for feeding the fans during afternoon and evening games in the Euro 2016 tournament, which kicks off in France from Friday 10 June and runs to Sunday 10 July.
Phil Fensome, head butcher at Bestway’s Luton depot, says: “Our range of handmade burgers includes 4oz lamb burgers with garden mint which are ideal for barbecues, and our lamb and mint sausages offer something different and are really popular. Kebabs are a simple option, and ideas include our chicken breast kebabs marinated in piri piri sauce.”
Fensome adds: “Have some fun with your offer. Our Olde English sausage is ideal for serving for England games and caterers could use them in a hot dog as a Rooney Roll, or link burger names with the England team, such as a Hodgson Half-timer. Caterers can also theme their offer for Wales games, with Welsh lamb burgers.”
Phil Fensome’s barbecue tips
· A barbecue menu doesn’t need to be extensive – around three simple but tasty options are ideal.
· Take steaks out of the fridge around 20 minutes before cooking to help make the meat supple for grilling. Brush the steaks both sides in vegetable oil as this has a higher burning point than olive oil. Season steaks well on both sides before cooking.
· Add interest to your menu and drive profits by using cost-effective cuts, such as beef brisket, lamb shoulder and pork shoulder. Pork shoulder can be used to create slow cooked pulled pork. Pork steaks marinated in a Chinese sauce also offer a tasty and profitable option.
· Get planning for the Olympics in August. Theme your barbecue menu in with the event such as offering an Olympic sized burger, a Team GB steak or Brazilian themed burger.
· Service is key – use signage so customers understand where to order food and set up an outside service area for customers to help themselves to cutlery and sauces.« Back to News